There aren’t many dams in the US that are large and offer a free tour. While passing through the Redding & Shasta Lake area in Northern California we stopped for a picnic and a tour of the dam.
This was the kid’s first tour inside a large facility like this. Although we’ve spent many many nights in Las Vegas, we’ve never made it over to Hoover (it’s definitely on our To-Do list).
- First of all, you can bring a camera but can only take pictures in certain areas. They’ll let you know.
- Parker was about 3 years old and had a great time.
- There isn’t too much walking but you’ll be on your feet for about an hour.
- DO NO BE LATE. They will start the tour without you.
- You cannot bring cell phones or food of any kind with you. They have drinking fountains along the tour.
- It helps to call ahead to make sure they have room for you on the tour.
Here’s their link: usbr.gov/mp/ncao/shasta
The tour itself is clean and well-paced. You get to walk through the dam itself as well as the turbine house. Here are some of our pictures: